In recovery programs, this is a key concept. Since beginning my steps into a life free of of codependency, I know I’ve heard the phrase hundreds, if not thousands of times. Have an attitude of gratitude. Make a gratitude list. When we take time out of our misery – because that’s what addictions are – and make time to write a few things we’re grateful for, it moves our focus onto something good.
“Shout joyfully to the LORD, all the earth. Serve the LORD with gladness; Come before Him with joyful singing. Know that the LORD Himself is GOD; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving And His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him, bless His name. For the LORD is Good; His Lovingkindness is everlasting And His Faithfulness to all generations.” Psalms 100:1-5 NASB
What five things can you write down that you are thankful for today? Make a list; write them down!
1) LORD, I’m grateful for a warm house today!
2) Thank You for my part time job at the little local grocery down the street.
3) Thank You, God, for Christian radio, that I can listen to 24/7 if I choose.
4) I’m grateful for 2 little dogs who wormed their way into my life and who taught me how to spoil them.
5) Thank You, LORD, for the financial hardships that encourage me to trust in You for my sustenance daily. Amen.